Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust runs two main hospitals:
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
- West Middlesex University Hospital
We also offer a range of community based services, including our award winning sexual health and HIV clinics across London.
With 5,000 staff caring for nearly one million people locally, regionally, nationally and internationally, we provide a range a specialist clinical services as well as general hospital services for people living locally, which include A&E and maternity at both our hospital sites.
Our ambition is to lead the NHS with world class, patient focused healthcare delivered locally. Our teams will go beyond for their patients and community in order to deliver against this aim.
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital was built in just five years and opened in 1993, on the site once occupied by St Stephen’s Hospital—bringing together staff, services and equipment from five London hospitals.
- Westminster Hospital: founded as a voluntary hospital in a small house in Petty France, Pimlico, with just 10 beds in 1719.
- Westminster Children’s Hospital: built in 1907 as The Infant’s Hospital. Originally in Vincent Square SW1, the hospital pioneered the treatment of malnutrition in infants.
- West London Hospital: opened in 1860 the hospital was known from the early 1970s for its women-centred maternity service.
- St Mary Abbots Hospital: an infirmary occupied the site of what had been the Kensington work house. The hospital was founded in the late 19th century.
- St Stephen’s Hospital: a map of 1664 indicates, on this site, “The hospital in Little Chelsea”. Later there was a workhouse then an infirmary before St Stephen’s was founded in the late 1800s.
The hospital is modern and attractive, with displays of art from the present day to the sixteenth century.
West Middlesex University Hospital
West Middlesex has a long history of pioneering, innovative healthcare.
It opened in 1894 as the Brentford Workhouse Infirmary and became known as West Middlesex Hospital in about 1920.
The new building was built between 2001 and 2003, when the original buildings were deemed to be no longer suitable for the needs of the hospital. Approximately half of the original site was sold, allowing refurbishment of two remaining buildings at the east of the site.
Today it is at the heart of the local community—a modern, award-winning hospital with state of the art facilities.